Professor of Economics, Noranda Chair in Economics and International Trade, University of Toronto
Research Fellow, IZA
Loren Brandt is a Professor of Economics at the University of Toronto specializing in the Chinese economy. He has been at the University of Toronto since 1987. He is also a research fellow at the IZA (The Institute for the Study of Labor) in Bonn, Germany. He has published widely on the Chinese economy in leading economic journals, and has been involved in extensive household and enterprise survey work in both China and Vietnam. With Thomas Rawski, he recently completed an interdisciplinary effort analyzing policy, regulation and innovation in China’s power and telecom sectors, which will be published next year by Cambridge University Press. He was also co-editor and major contributor to China’s Great Economic Transformation (Cambridge University Press, 2008), which provides an integrated analysis of China’s unexpected economic boom of the past three decades. Brandt was also one of the area editors for Oxford University Press’ five-volume Encyclopedia of Economic History (2003). His current research focuses on issues of industrial upgrading in China, inequality dynamics, and economic growth and structural change.
- Policy, Regulation and Innovation in China’s Electricity and Telecom Industries with Thomas Rawski (forthcoming Cambridge University Press)
- WTO Accession and Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Luhang Wang and Yifan Zhang (forthcoming, American Economic Review).
- Growth with equity: income inequality in Vietnam, 2002–14 with Dwayne Benjamin and Brian McCaig, Journal of Income Inequality, 2017.
- Industrialization in China with Debin Ma and Thomas Rawski, in Industrialization in the Global Periphery, Kevin O’Rourke and Jeffrey Williamson, editors, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- Roads, Railroads and Decentralization of Chinese Cities with Nathanial Baum-Snow, Vernon Henderson, Matthew Turner, and Qinghua Zhang, Review of Economics and Statistics, 2016.
- Tariffs and the Organization of Trade in China with Peter Morrow, Journal of International Economics, 2017.
- Large Shocks and Small Changes in the Marriage Market for Famine Born Cohorts in China,with Aloysius Siow and Carl Vogel, Journal of the European Economic Association, 2016.
- Constructing a Ladder For Growth: Policy, Markets and Industrial Upgrading, with Eric Thun, World Development (80), 79-95 (2016).
- Compensating for Unequal Parental Investments in Schooling with Aloysius Siow and Hui Wang. Journal of Population and Economics, 28.2 , 423-62 (2015). (Winner of the Kuznets Award for Best Paper in Journal of Population Economics, 2015).
- From Divergence to Convergence: Reevaluating the History behind China’s Economic Boom with Debin Ma, and Thomas G. Rawski. Journal of Economic Literature, 52(1): 45-123. 2014.
- Factor Market Distortions Across Time, Space and Sectors in China with Trevor Tombe, Xiaodong Zhu. Review of Economic Dynamics 16 (1) (2013), 39–58.
- The Rise of China, in The Encyclopedia of Economic History, Routledge Publishing, 2013.
- Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction: Firm Level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Yifan Zhang. Journal of Development Economics 97 (2) (2012), 339–351.
- Did Higher Inequality Impede Growth in Rural China? with Dwayne Benjamin and John Giles. The Economic Journal, 2011.
- The Fight for the Middle: Upgrading, Competition, and Industrial Development in China with Eric Thun. World Development, 2010.
- China’s Great Economic Transformation (Table of Contents | Excerpt), Loren Brandt and Thomas G. Rawski, editors, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
Recent Working Papers
- Barriers to Entry and Regional Economic Growth in China with Gueorgui Kambourov and Kjetil Storesletten (2018)
- Are China’s “Leftover Women” really leftover? An investigation of marriage market penalties in modern-day China with Hongbin Li, Laura Turner, and Jiaqi Zou (2018).
- Ownership and Productivity in Vertically-Integrated Firms: Evidence from the Chinese Steel Industry with Feitao Jiang, Yao Luo, and Yingjun Su (2018).
- Productivity in Chinese Industry: 1998-2013 (Very) Preliminary Findings with Luhang Wang, and Yifan Zhang (2017).
- Misallocation, Selection And Productivity: A Quantitative Analysis With Panel Data From China, with Tasso Adamopoulos, Jessica Leight, and Diego Restuccia (2017).
- Highways, Market Access, and Urban Growth in China, with Nathanial Baum-Snow, Vernon Henderson, Matthew Turner, and Qinghua Zhang (2017).
- Policy Perspectives from the Bottom Up: What Do Firm-level Data Tell Us China Needs to Do? Prepared for the 2015 Asia Economic Policy Conference, Policy Challenges in a Diverging Global Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (November 2015).
- Accounting for China’s Growth with Xiaodong Zhu (2010).