Professor of Economics, University of Toronto
Research Fellow, IZA
Loren Brandt is a Professor of Economics at the University of Toronto specializing in the Chinese economy. He has been at the University of Toronto since 1987. He is also a research fellow at the IZA (The Institute for the Study of Labor) in Bonn, Germany. He has published widely on the Chinese economy in leading economic journals, and has been involved in extensive household and enterprise survey work in both China and Vietnam. He was co-editor and major contributor to China’s Great Economic Transformation (Cambridge University Press, 2008), a landmark study that provides an integrated analysis of China’s unexpected economic boom of the past three decades. Brandt was also one of the area editors for Oxford University Press’ five-volume Encyclopedia of Economic History (2003). His current research focuses on issues of industrial upgrading in China, inequality dynamics, and economic growth and structural change.
- Compensating for Unequal Parental Investments in Schooling with Aloysius Siow and Hui Wang. Journal of Population and Economics, forthcoming.
- From Divergence to Convergence: Reevaluating the History behind China’s Economic Boom with Debin Ma, and Thomas G. Rawski. Journal of Economic Literature, 52(1): 45-123. 2014.
- Factor Market Distortions Across Time, Space and Sectors in China with Trevor Tombe, Xiaodong Zhu. Review of Economic Dynamics 16 (1) (2013), 39–58.
- The Rise of China, in The Encyclopedia of Economic History, Routledge Publishing, 2013.
- Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction: Firm Level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Yifan Zhang. Journal of Development Economics 97 (2) (2012), 339–351.
- Did Higher Inequality Impede Growth in Rural China? with Dwayne Benjamin and John Giles. The Economic Journal, 2011.
- The Fight for the Middle: Upgrading, Competition, and Industrial Development in China with Eric Thun. World Development, 2010.
- China’s Great Economic Transformation (Table of Contents | Excerpt), Loren Brandt and Thomas G. Rawski, editors, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
Recent Working Papers
- Tariffs and the Organization of Trade in China with Peter Morrow (2014).
- Roads, Railroads and Decentralization of Chinese Cities with Nathanial Baum-Snow, Vernon Henderson, Matthew Turner, and Qinghua Zhang (2013).
- Large Demographic Shocks and Small Changes in the Marriage Market with Aloysius Siow and Carl Vogel (2013).
- WTO Accession and Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Luhang Wang and Yifan Zhang (2012).
- Accounting for China’s Growth with Xiaodong Zhu (2010).