- From Divergence to Convergence: Reevaluating the History behind China’s Economic Boom, joint with Debin Ma, and Thomas G. Rawski. Journal of Economic Literature, 52(1): 45-123. 2014.
- Creative Accounting or Creative Destruction: Firm Level Productivity Growth in Chinese Manufacturing, joint with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Yifan Zhang. Journal of Development Economics 97 (2) (2012), 339–351.
- Factor Market Distortions Across Time, Space and Sectors in China, joint with Trevor Tombe, Xiaodong Zhu. Review of Economic Dynamics 16 (1) (2013), 39–58.
- The Rise of China, in The Encyclopedia of Economic History, Routledge Publishing, 2013.
- Did Higher Inequality Impede Growth In Rural China?, joint with Dwayne Benjamin and John Giles, The Economic Journal, (2011).
- Technical Appendix to Did Higher Inequality Impede Growth In Rural China?, joint with Dwayne Benjamin and John Giles, The Economic Journal, (2011).
- The Fight for the Middle: Upgrading, Competition, and Industrial Development in China, joint with Eric Thun, World Development Vol. 38, No. 11, (2010).
- Interest‐Free Loans between Villagers, joint with Arthur J. Hosios, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 58, No. 2 , (2009).
- China’s Great Economic Transformation (Table of Contents | Excerpt), Loren Brandt and Thomas G. Rawski, editors, Cambridge University Press, 2008.
Selected Other Publications
- The Evolution of Income Inequality in Rural China, joint Dwayne Benjamin, Economic Development and Cultural Change, (2005).
- Banks and Enterprise Privatization in China, joint with Hongbin Li and Joanne Roberts, T he Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization, V21 N 2, (2005).
- Local Government Behavior and Property Right Formation in Rural China, joint with Scott Rozelle and Matthew A. Turner
- Bank discrimination in transition economies: ideology, information, or incentives?, joint with Hongbin Li, Canadian Journal of Economics, (2003).
- Property Rights, labour markets, and efficiency in a transition economy: the case of rural China, joint with Dwayne Benjamin, Journal of Comparative Economics 31, (2002).
- Redistribution in a Decentralized Economy: Growth and Inflation in China under Reform, joint with Xiaodong Zhu, Journal of Political Economy, (2000).
- Credit, Incentives, and Reputation: A Hedonic Analysis of Contractual Wage Profiles, joint with Arthur J. Hosios, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 104, No. 6, (1996).
- Interpreting New Evidence About China and U.S. Silver Purchases, joint with Thomas J. Sargent, Journal of Monetary Economics 23, (1989).
- Chinese Agriculture and the International Economy, 1870-1930s: A Reassessment, Explorations In Economic History 22, (1985).
- Roads, Railroads and Decentralization of Chinese Cities, joint with Nathanial Baum-Snow, Vernon Henderson, Matthew Turner, and Qinghua Zhang, (2013).
- Substitution Effects in Parental Investments, joint with Aloysius Siow and Hui Wang, (2013).
- Tariffs and the Organization of Trade in China, joint with Peter Morrow, (2013).
- WTO Accession and Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms, joint with Johannes Van Biesebroeck, Luhang Wang and Yifan Zhang, (2012).
- Large Demographic Shocks and Small Changes in the Marriage Market, joint with Aloysius Siow and Carl Vogel, (2011).
- Accounting for China’s Growth, joint with Xiaodong Zhu, (2010).